The “Upload Failed to Write File to Disk” error can occur for several reasons, but the most common is a folder permissions issue. File permissions determine who can read, write, modify, and delete files or folders on your HostPapa server. If set incorrectly, file permissions can prevent you from updating your WordPress files or uploading images to the server.
You can resolve this issue by resetting your WordPress file permissions using an FTP client or cPanel File Manager. In this article, we’ll walk you through the steps for both of these methods.
Changing file permissions using an FTP client
- Open your FTP application and enter your HostPapa FTP server details. You can find these credentials in your cPanel dashboard at My cPanel > FTP Accounts.
2. If you are using FileZilla, CoreFTP, or Cyberduck FTP clients, you can download and import your FTP configuration details from the cPanel dashboard.
3. Once you’re logged in, navigate to your WordPress folder.
4. Right-click the folder and select File permissions…
5. HostPapa recommends that WordPress folder permissions are set to 0755 and that files are set to 0644. Enter 755 in the Numeric Value field and ensure the box next to Recurse into subdirectories is checked.
6. Below, click Apply to directories only.
7. Click OK to continue.
8. Enter the WordPress folder and look for your index.php file.
9. Right-click the file and, once again, select File permissions…
10. This time, set the Numeric Value to 644 and click OK.
You can find out more about working with FTP at the HostPapa knowledge base.
Changing file permissions using cPanel File Manager
You can also use cPanel File Manager to change the file and folder permissions in your WordPress installation.
- Log in to your HostPapa Dashboard.
- Select My cPanel.
3. Select File Manager.
4. Right-click on your WordPress folder and select Change Permissions.
5. Enter 755 in the Permission fields.
6. Click Change Permissions to continue.
7. Double-click on your WordPress folder and find the index.php file.
8. Right-click the file and, once again, select Change Permissions.
9. Set the Permission value to 644 and click OK.
If you need help with your HostPapa account, please open a support ticket from your dashboard.